The development of mobile applications has been growing steadily for several years. This software development category specifically covers applications running on mobile devices.
Mobile apps are designed for various operating systems, including iOS and Android. Utilizing the built-in features of smartphones, apps provide users with a better experience than web browsing on mobile devices.
A staggering seventy percent of the population around the world have smartphones. What's the activity using these devices? They're playing apps.
The apps are categorized into diverse categories, such as games and calendars, music and communication apps, and much more. I'm sure you're familiar with the most well-known apps in the world, such as WhatsApp, Spotify, HeadSpace, Facebook, and Instagram.
Making an app is an excellent business idea. However, first, you must know the process of developing mobile apps, which is why we have created this guide.
What Is Mobile App Development?
Development of mobile applications is employed to create apps for tablets, smartphones, and mobile devices. The process includes writing code to build the software and creating the application.
App development is comparable to other types of software development, including web-based applications. However, the main distinction between app development and conventional app development lies in the capacity of mobile applications to utilize the native features of the device.
Apps, for instance, can use mobile features, such as GPS, Bluetooth, a microphone, camera, and other functions built into smartphones.
Apple and Android app stores dominate the market share for mobile applications. It is, however, possible to make applications for different platforms. The majority of apps are targeted at these two markets.
It's also important to know that app development has many different frameworks to pick from. This means you'll have plenty of options, and we'll go over them more in-depth throughout this article.
Developing apps is straightforward because it is broken down into a few steps. If you're looking to develop apps, follow the steps below:
Refine The Idea And Strategize
Before you begin developing software, you should start by brainstorming your concepts. You might have a concept or idea. Some may be starting with a blank slate.
Here are some great questions to start with that you must be asking yourself:
- What do you expect your mobile app to achieve?
- What are your app's goals?
- What issue (or issues) can your app fix for your customers?
- What features will your app have?
- What amount of money do you have in mind to put into investing?
- How do you create the application? (In-house team, agency, app builder, etc.)
There's a tendency to become lost in the process of brainstorming. It's important to stay focused on the core features of the app. Don't bother with unnecessary add-ons and "nice-to-haves" that deviate from the app's primary purpose.
When your idea is decided, it is time to examine similar applications that have already been developed. You cannot often have an entirely new concept with no competitors.
- Who are your competitors?
- Whom do you want to reach?
- What is your strategy for differentiation to differentiate yourself from your other competitors?
- What's the most suitable platform for launching your app?
- How can you promote and market your app?
Market research is a crucial step you shouldn't do or hurry through. You don't want to waste hours and dollars developing ideas only to discover that there isn't a market for them. You can save lots of money by having this settled before creating anything.
Build Your UX Design
The design of mobile apps is an additional crucial step in the process. Begin thinking about the way your app will appear and feel. Draw some sketches and create wireframes to see how your app will operate.
The user experience is an absolute priority. You must ensure your user interface is smooth and simple to use.
- Create a storyboard or a map to show the connections between screens.
- Think about the different aspects of how users will interact with your app compared to a mobile-friendly website (app design and Web development aren't the same).
- The user experience is your priority.
You'll need to build some prototypes of your application based on the wireframes you've drawn before you begin building an application that can be fully functional. From there, you'll be able to make your MVP (minimum feasible product). It is a basic application that achieves its main objective without bells.
It's now time to develop the application. This involves all the back-end technology, APIs and front-end design. What you should accomplish:
- Choose your development method.
- Assemble your development team.
- Designate a project manager.
- Create a timeline that includes goals and milestones.
- Be flexible, and be prepared for any changes that may occur along the way.
Based on the method you choose to develop depending on your development method, you may need to create two different versions of the app, one for iOS and another for Android. You can also use cross-platform development tools to create an identical app version that runs across both operating platforms.
This method will appear slightly different for each. Some apps can be created within a month by just one developer. Multiple developers may build other applications in six months or even years.
The kind of app you're creating and the complexity of its features can impact the timeline and budget of app development. An app with no features is likely to be simple and cost-effective to develop. But an app that requires authentication servers for users, GPS capabilities, real-time interaction between users and similar features is likely to take longer to create.
Before you launch your app before it goes live, you must make sure it works. Testing your app is the time to uncover glitches, bugs and other issues that need to be addressed before putting it in the hands of your customers.
- Test your app using QAs throughout the process of development is the most effective method.
- Be sure to test the application for both devices.
- Test the app on various devices (smartphones, tablets, etc.).
- Test your tests with real people to collect feedback and improve.
There is no perfect app. Your test aims to make an application that functions without issue so that users enjoy the experience.
You can also make changes to your app and then release future versions. Making sure the app is in good shape during the test phase could cause your app not to be able to go to market. Don't get too hard on yourself and strive to create an effective product.
What Are The Best Mobile App Development Platforms?
With so many options in the market for developing apps, you'll need to narrow your choices according to your expertise and goals, the type of app and budget. These tools don't just permit you to develop an application. They can also help you test, optimize, debug, and keep your app running post-launch.
Different Types of Mobile Apps
Today's app development is very different from previous. In the past, low-level programming in native programming was your only choice. If you wanted to create an iOS application for Apple's Apple App Store and an Android app for the Google Play Store, you required two versions entirely from scratch.
This makes it much simpler for e-commerce businesses or existing companies and entrepreneurs to build native applications starting from the ground up. Here's a brief description of the various types of apps and the factors that make them distinctive for the development process:
Native Mobile Applications
Native apps can be installed directly on mobile devices. They are usually downloaded through apps like the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. Most of the time, native apps can function without an internet connection and can take advantage of the capabilities of the device they're installed on.
Making a native application means creating code specifically designed for the system operating on which the gadget is designed.
Cross-Platform Native Mobile Applications
In a cross-platform app, the same code can be used to run on every platform. Therefore, you only need to create your code once, and your app will be used natively on iOS and Android devices.
From a user's perspective, There is hardly any distinction between cross-platform and native applications. From a developer's perspective, the cross-platform native option is cheaper and reduces the development time.
Hybrid Mobile Applications
Hybrid and cross-platform apps are frequently employed interchangeably, but they're not identical. Like cross-platform applications, hybrid apps are created in one place and operate across both platforms.
However, hybrid development is slightly more user-friendly than cross-platform development. However, cross-platform application creation is very complex and demands app developer knowledge. Hybrid development is less complicated and is possible using a basic understanding of web development or with no-code application builders.
Progressive Web Application (PWA)
PWAs are programs accessible via the web, in contrast to being installed natively on a device.
The latest technology makes PWAs appear and feel very like native app experiences. It is possible to send push notifications to users. These will be delivered via the internet browser. However, PWAs will be smaller in the capabilities they can accomplish using the native features of the device.
Cross-Platform Or Progressive Web Application?
Let's examine the advantages and disadvantages of cross-platform applications versus PWAs. This will allow you to determine the best option for you, your application budget, as well as your the goals you have set.
- Cross-platform native apps are simpler to maintain since you can transfer updates on all devices.
- It's a faster turnaround time in comparison to conventional Android development, as well as iOS development.
- A shorter time for development typically means lower costs, and you can invest more time in other aspects of the application.
- It is possible to effectively connect with larger users by targeting tablets and smartphones on various platforms.
- There are performance issues that exist with certain operating systems.
- This implies that you'll need to troubleshoot more often.
- In certain situations, security issues could be associated with a particular OS.
- There is a longer wait time when you plan to implement new features within the application.
Progressive Web Application Advantages:
- PWAs are more affordable to build and maintain as compared to native applications.
- They're easy and quick to install on a variety of devices.
- PWAs can be used on any platform due to cross-platform support.
- PWAs give users a more enjoyable experience due to their efficiency.
Progressive Web Application Disadvantages:
- It isn't possible to access PWAs via the app store.
- They have fewer functions which may impact user experience.
- The functionality that requires Bluetooth or NFC may be restricted when working in the application.
Hybrid vs Native Apps
Let's now look at hybrid applications compared to native apps and consider the advantages and disadvantages of these frameworks for development.
Hybrid App Advantages:
- Hybrid applications look and feel as if they are an app that is native.
- They are more affordable to construct and maintain.
- Hybrid apps provide a faster development process.
Hybrid App Disadvantages:
- Performance is poor for older models.
- Hybrid won't work with specific types of apps.
- Some features may be restricted by hybrid development.
Native App Advantages:
- Excellent performance.
- All functions on smartphones are available.
- They're built using IDEs (integrated software development tools) such as React Native.
- Native applications still work smoothly on older gadgets.
Native App Disadvantages:
- Native applications are the most costly to develop.
- They take a long time to build, and it's necessary to build separately for iOS and Android
- The tools for development aren't user-friendly.
- They're more vulnerable to problems and generally require regular updates.
There's much information to be uncovered regarding the development of mobile apps. However, whether you're developing native or cross-platform apps, focusing on the user experience is essential.
The app's capabilities must fulfil its primary purpose, and interactive functions must be simple.
There is a myriad of options for app development. The best choice is dependent on your budget, your goals and timeline, as well as your technical capabilities and the complexity of your app.
Why Digital Media Marketing Is Important For A Business?
When a business is new, most business owners u…Read More
What to Expect From Your Marketing Agency?
The digital marketing world looks very temptin…Read More
How Samaritan Technologies Helps You in Growing Your Business in 2022?
In the modern world, novel trends and technolo…Read More
10 Reasons Your Small Business Needs Web Development Services in 2022
A strong online presence through web-based sit…Read More
10 Benefits of Availing Custom Web Development Services in 2022
In the age of technological advancement today,…Read More